Pages

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Vertigo or Dizziness feeling

I have been fasting all days in the month of Ramadan since I was in class three or four. As I remember well, I never missed a day. Today, Saturday 21st Aug, 2010 (11th Ramadan) I decided not to fast because of my health. On Friday, after sehri when I got up and tried to come out of my bed, I felt a sudden fast round of the world. The whole world moved around me and I chose to lye immediately back into my bed. After couple of minutes rest it was alright. I chose to stay at home rather than going to university and work. In the mid-day, I went for Jumma prayers and then decided to go to office. In the evening, I had a long long chat with my family.

In the evening, I came back home. An hour after iftaar, I felt this jerk again. It was strong as in morning. After some time, I felt a small vertigo again. Then after this happened quite regularly. On my request, Faraz, who was near his place near City Center, came to my place. On the way to my place, he met and got advice from Ather's morrocan friend, Yahya that I could call Emergency and inform them of my situation. Yahya talked to me on mobile as well and I am highly thankful to him for all his support that he offered to take me to hospital at such late time (12 midnight) if emergency hospital asked me to visit doctor.

Well, after a long wait on emergency phone number, a person finally got a chance to talk to me. It was almost after 15 minutes of hold on phone. I told him the whole story that this dizziness/ vertigo started in morning, and happened again in late evening at 10pm. Continuously, I felt this dizziness/vertigo with small breaks of few minutes and I felt it specially when I turned from my one side to other side while lying on the bed. I also felt lightness while walking as otherwise when walking I usually have a firm footing on the ground. The woman on the other side of the phone asked several other questions about the story. The surprising thing is that I was fasting the whole day and I didn't feel it but I felt it only after iftaar when I had already eaten alot. When I informed her, she immediately was of the opine that I do not need to see a doctor and it was probably because of Ramadan/fast because she put forth the argument that during fast we don't eat and the dizziness could be just a cause of it. However, I also had a severe cold and sweating at the same time. I told her this several times but she was stubborn and firm that I can not see a doctor.

Well, by that time Faraz was already there. I took one paracetamol and decided not to fast the next day (that is today). I felt extremely bad about it but I couldn't help myself.

Today, after I got up in the morning (10 am perhaps). I felt the same thing again but I was not feeling cold as such. Then the vertigo/dizziness feeling remained still. Sadaf, Faraz and I searched on internet about the near by doctor. We went to see a near by house doctor. Unfortunately, the house doctors work from Monday to Friday and the house doctor hospital at Lage Witsiebaan 400, Tilburg was closed. We came in contact with Sadaf, Ather and Yahya again. Yahya called the emergency hospital and took me an appointment of 10 past 15. Ather was here before Yahya and then Yahya brought his car near the gas station at 15.00 hours. We went to the hospital (I dont remember the name, I will ask Ather again).

At hospital, doctor called me in. He asked me the story. After my narration, he took me to the diagnosis room. There first he peeped into my ear with a some device and told me that I don't have fever. Then he asked me to undress top. I took off my jacket, shirt and vest. He checked my blood-pressure and said it was normal. He then checked my breath, heart beat and lungs by listening to stathoscope. Later he asked me to do straighten my hands in front and by closing eyes, I should touch the finger of one hand to my nose and repeat for the other hand too. The next exercise was to walk towards him by closing eyes. The last exercise was to walk with eyes open but by putting feets in one line.

After such number of exercises, his remarks were that I was completely alright. He informed me he checked my fever, my blood pressure, my brain, my chest, my lungs and he thought everything was good.

Lastly, he mentioned that though he can write me desciption of medicines but he will not do that. He suggested I should not take any medicine and I should only relax and take rest and do things as normal. He informed me that this vertigo feeling could remain for some days and would reduce slowly and gradually. However, if I think that things are not improving then I can visit him after afew days, may be Tuesday or Wednesday.

This was the first time, I had such vertigo or dizziness feeling. I pray to Allah that this dizziness/vertigo feeling goes off soon. Amen.

I am thankful to Yahya, Sadaf, Faraz, and Ather for all the help they did. Thanks buddies. May Allah grant you Ajar. Amen.

I will talk about insurance / house doctor / hospitals in Holland in my next blog.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hoe can u remove my comments,, this not fair.

    ReplyDelete